Happy Friday, folks. Just some random thoughts before I disappear into reading books and bingewatching The Umbrella Academy over the weekend.
- If you are looking for a gender neutral way to replace addressing a group of people as “good morning, guys,” you should know that “sinners” fits the bill and sets the tone.
- You know how there is Florida Man out there? “Florida Man wrestles shark,” or “Florida Man Leaps From Taco Bell Roof During Drunken Diatribe” would be good examples Florida Man behaviors. The Ohio version of this is “Man in Black Pickup Truck.” As in “Man in Black Pickup Truck Flies Confederate Flag At BLM Rally” or “Man in Black Pickup Truck Blows Bast Everyone Doing 60 in a 35.” Assmunches, all of them.
- I can heartily recommend ignoring the news for your own sanity. I am here to tell you that two weeks off of news sites and most of Facebook is good for the soul.
- The double album Mad Dogs and Englishmen by Joe Cocker is exactly what you need right now. Go listen to the whole thing.
- Vinyl really does sound better than MP3s. Come at me bro.
- My beard is now long enough to braid, but that doesn’t mean I’m actually going to do that.
- The best ham I have ever tasted is from Father’s Ham in Kentucky. They use real hickory smoke on all their meats, and my house smells amazing after making some their bacon.
I was up at 4am this morning to kick off my circumference reduction program.
As I thought about working out and eating, I realized weight is not a thing I care about except in relationship to other measurements of my body. The biggest impact on my life is not my weight measurement, but my circumference. Out in the world most chairs and benches will hold me, but the width of things is an issue. And while I won’t have to worry about airline seats for a while (Thanks COVID!) Cat and I are talking about a tiny house purchase in the next four years. There is no way I’ll function well in that small space unless I’m physically slighter.
I’ve been successfully in keto sis for about a week. The sugar cravings are gone and I can stay on track with the keto food plan I’ve created. Now the goals are increased exercise and calorie restriction.
When I say “calorie restriction” I’m not talking anything extreme. Right now, I take in around 3000 calories a day and I’m not burning it off. So, calorie restriction for me is around 2400, which is doable. One might even call it “normal” whatever that means.
So I started today with meditation and then a walk around the neighborhood. I’ve already taken more steps than I do on an average day just working from home. My plan is to go slow: work out 3 times a week until I establish the habit, then either up the frequency or length of the workouts.
And, honestly, I’ll feel better about lying around reading if I do something during the day. That makes the little voice shut up and I can focus on my books, which is the important thing. 🙂
(Photo by NastyaSensei from Pexels)
Welcome to my new spiffy version of my website!
This social distancing thing has been hard. I find myself spending a lot more time in my head than usual, and that’s not always a good thing. A creative outlet was suggested and I do enjoy writing, so here we are.
I’m going to have some fun with this. Maybe some online journalling, definitely some travel writing. I like taking pictures and I’m getting back into that, so maybe some light photography as well. News about what I’m brewing or making, what the family is up to, etc. Light banter. Hopefully not as preachy as past attempts.
Does anything suck as much as a first post? Probably not.
Anyway, welcome. Or welcome back, whichever is more approriate.